PRSSA is the foremost student group on campus for students with an interest in a career in public relations or communications. We are part of a national organization dedicated to providing mutually beneficial relationships between students and professionals in the field. Our mission is to serve the profession by giving our members an enhanced knowledge of public relations through professional development opportunities, including:
- Site visits
- Networking events
- Professional development presentations and workshops
- Mentorship opportunities
UMN PRSSA has a strong relationship with our professional chapter, Minnesota PRSA. This partnership allows us valuable connections and opportunities to attend events and network with professionals.
Chapter meetings for fall 2018 will occur bi-weekly Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m. in Murphy Hall room 100. If you are considering membership, we welcome you to attend a meeting to see what we are all about. Head over to the membership page to learn more about becoming a member.
Co-Presidents | Leah Comins & Phoebe Janisch
Agency Director | Emily Goldstein
Account Executives | Jenna Frank & Bailey Olson
VPs of Professional Development |Rachel Duerksen & MaiLei Meyers
VPs of Events | Lydia Crabtree & Sophia Julio
VP of Communications | Risa Klein
VP of Fundraising | Linnea Holmes
PRSSA is structured into executive branches which are each devoted to a specific set of goals. VPs will often provide special opportunities to chapter members to assist with their branch’s initiatives.
The agency branch is known as Fusion. Fusion members receive hands-on experience working with real clients and content for their portfolios. In the past, we have worked with clients such as Be the Match or Sprout Salad. We help our clients grow tremendously through the work we complete for them.
The events branch coordinates events for all chapter members. Events include agency/business visits, the winter trip and the Twin Cities Day of Tours.
The professional development branch seeks to provide all chapter members with professional development opportunities. This is completed through coordinating guest speakers, planning networking nights and presenting weekly “PRo-Tips.” This committee also runs UMN PRSSA’s blog. Blog entries feature recaps of guest speakers, agency visits and professional development topics.
The communications branch works to promote PRSSA to the university and Twin Cities communities through social media and other promotional materials. Follow us at @umnprssa on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!
The fundraising branch helps PRSSA raise funds. These funds can be used to help members attend national conferences, regional conferences and the winter trip. Our funds are also used for our annual spring networking night and chapter social activities.
PRSSA always welcomes new members. Membership includes access to a variety of exclusives for one year, including site visits, networking events and more. Becoming a member is as simple as submitting an application and dues. Deadlines to submit applications and dues are as follows:
- Fall 2018: TBA
Joining PRSSA gives you access to a variety of member benefits that will enhance your education, broaden your professional network and launch your career.
- You gain access to the PRSSA National’s databank of internships as well as their job center. You will also be added to our chapter’s private Facebook group for opportunities, internships, jobs and exclusive resources.
- There are several opportunities for PRSSA members to apply for a variety of scholarships throughout the year.
- You will have priority sign-up for our chapter’s agency tours, including the winter trip and can attend PRSSA National events.
- We bring in diverse industry professionals as guest speakers. Spring semester includes a night of networking as well as the annual Pro-Am day where you have the opportunity to job shadow.
- Find your fit. Public relations is a diverse professional field with traditional and non-traditional paths. Learning from various companies and careers will give you a better idea of what you like – and don’t like!
- Our bi-weekly meetings offer the chance to get to know your peers outside of the classroom. Also, executive board members and upperclassmen can offer mentorship for the PR world as well as college life.
Questions or comments? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you consider joining PRSSA!