PRSSA is the foremost student group on campus for students with an interest in a career in public relations or communications. We are part of a national organization dedicated to providing mutually beneficial relationships between students and professionals in the field. Our mission is to serve the profession by giving our members an enhanced knowledge of public relations through professional development opportunities, including:
- Site visits
- Networking events
- Professional development presentations and workshops
- Mentorship opportunities
UMN PRSSA has a strong relationship with our professional chapter, Minnesota PRSA. This partnership allows us valuable connections and opportunities to attend events and network with professionals.
Chapter meetings for spring 2018 will occur bi-weekly Wednesdays from 5:45-7:00 p.m. in Murphy Hall room 100. If you are considering membership, we welcome you to attend a meeting to see what we are all about. Head over to the membership page to learn more about becoming a member.
Co-Presidents | Jack Nachtigal & Brooke Eshleman
Agency Director | Risa Klein
Account Executives | Emily Goldstein & Linnea Holmes
Event Directors | Sabrina Diaz & Jenna Frank
Professional Development Director | Leah Comins & Phoebe Janisch
Communications Director | Rachel Oehlke
PRSSA has three committees which are each devoted to a specific set of goals. Committee directors will often provide special opportunities to chapter members to assist with the committee’s initiatives.
The agency committee is known as Fusion. Fusion members receive hands-on experience working with real clients. In the past, we have worked with clients who have grown tremendously because of the work we completed for them.
The events committee coordinates events for all chapter members. Events include agency/business visits, the winter trip and the Twin Cities day of tours.
Professional Development Committee
The professional development committee seeks to provide all chapter members with professional development opportunities. This is completed through coordinating guest speakers, planning networking nights and presenting weekly “PRo-Tips.” This committee also runs UMN PRSSA’s blog. Blog entries feature recaps of guest speakers, agency visits and professional development topics.
PRSSA always welcomes new members. Membership includes access to a variety of exclusives for one year, including site visits, networking events and more. Becoming a member is as simple as submitting an application and dues. Deadlines to submit applications and dues are as follows:
- Spring 2018: March 7
Joining PRSSA gives you access to a variety of member benefits that will enhance your education, broaden your professional network and launch your career.
- You gain access to the PRSSA National’s databank of internships as well as their job center. You will also be added to our chapter’s private Facebook group for opportunities, internships, jobs and exclusive resources.
- There are several opportunities for PRSSA members to apply for a variety of scholarships throughout the year.
- You will have priority sign-up for our chapter’s agency tours, including the winter trip and can attend PRSSA National events.
- We bring in diverse industry professionals as guest speakers. Spring semester includes a night of networking as well as the annual Pro-Am day where you have the opportunity to job shadow.
- Find your fit. Public relations is a diverse professional field with traditional and non-traditional paths. Learning from various companies and careers will give you a better idea of what you like – and don’t like!
- Our bi-weekly meetings offer the chance to get to know your peers outside of the classroom. Also, executive board members and upperclassmen can offer mentorship for the PR world as well as college life.
Questions or comments? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you consider joining PRSSA!